A guide to curing back pain and sciatica naturally
By Mitch Tarala
Sciatica is a condition wherein you have pain radiating along the sciatic nerve path and its branches, stretching from the back and down the leg.
I know from personal experience all about sciatica and different forms of back pain. I know how you feel when you wake up in the morning and can hardly get out of bed.
I know what you’re thinking as you’re painfully making your way to the medicine cabinet for your first dose of pain medication for the day.
And I understand how frustrating it is when you can’t do simple tasks like buying groceries, taking out the garbage, or playing with your kids because of the constant pain in your back, hip, or leg.
At only 24 years old, I had already been through it all. When I was 18 years old I injured my back with improper lifting techniques at work. It hurt quite a bit, and I had some time off. I went to the chiropractor and to physio therapy, and I did the same generic stretches that you’re probably doing today.
But Today I Am Pain Free
Doing Insane P90X Workouts With ZERO Pain…
If you’re suffering from back pain or sciatica, I want you to get the same results.
After a few years of this on-off pain that I could deal with on a daily basis, I sustained a much more serious back injury while falling down some stairs while carrying 50lbs. This caused me massive pain and immediate sciatic pain all the way down my right leg. And to top it off, shortly after this injury and tons of pain, I had yet another injury when a 250+ lb air diffuser fell out of the ceiling and on my head while on a light duty shift at work.. This time it almost killed me, and there was no way I was going to go back to working a dangerous job like that!
After months of the regular treatment methods, my back pain and sciatica had not improved and I was referred to a surgeon about my back pain.
An MRI showed that I have a large disc herniation in the L4-L5 region, which is causing severe spinal stenosis and compressed nerve roots on both sides of the disc. Many days I could hardly walk, I hobbled around like an 80 year old man and was in constant agonizing pain, completely unable to work or even do simple household chores.
But today I’m doing the most insane workout ever, you may have heard of it: P90X. It’s well known for being one of the most intense workouts in the world and it’s true, it’s nuts! But not even a year ago I was crippled and could hardly walk due to the intense sciatic pains that I had been experiencing daily for several months or even years. And I want to help other people get their lives back like I’ve got my own back after such a terrible few years of constant, agonizing pain!
WAIT… There’s No Miracle Cure Here
Now before you get your hopes up about some miracle cure or a magic pill that will take away your pain, I will tell you right now that truly overcoming a back injury, back pain, or sciatica takes a lot of dedication, a lot of effort, and a determination to once again live pain free and do all the things you’re missing out on. There is no simple fix… at least not on the surface.
How Long Did It Take?
Overcoming back pain takes a serious effort in getting to know your body, becoming more connected to it, and re-learning a lot of stuff you think you already know. Simple stuff like how to breathe, how to move your body, how to sit in a chair, how to “lift with your legs” (everyone tells you this but almost ALWAYS does it wrong), and even how you see the relationship between your mind and your body.
I know this, because I overcame my back pain and sciatica. And it took a long time and a lot of dedication, and I tried EVERYTHING.
My goal with this website is to help as many other people get the same results that I’ve got for myself, but I’m not to trick you into believing that it’s going to be easy to achieve lasting relief after a back injury. For me, it took at least 8 months of consistent daily action, and a positive attitude backed by knowledge of not only my injury but my entire body and musculoskeletal system and how it’s designed to work.
Cancelled Back Surgery
I was literally DAYS away from back surgery when I finally cancelled the whole thing last minute, because I didn’t feel it was worth the risk with all of the progress I had been making in the weeks before the surgery date.
I certainly didn’t find the ‘cure’ for back pain just a few days earlier and have it spare me from the operation. No, not at all!
I had been ‘working out’ (doing a specially designed exercise and stretching program for back pain) every day for over 5 months, working out for about 3-4 hours each weekday, with just some ‘maintenance’ exercises and stretches on the weekends… and luckily I started to finally get some relief after about 5 months of steady, every day exercise and dedication, and it wasn’t until about 7 or 8 months until I had days where I could honesty say I had no pain.
“You Don’t Need To Exercise 4 Hours A Day Like I Did”
But if you’re serious about getting rid of your back pain for good, I suggest that you put away at least 1 hour a day to dedicate to squashing your back pain or sciatica pain for LIFE. But you’re going to have to stick with it if you really want the pain to go away and stay away.
You’re going to be changing bad habits that took years to develop in just an hour or two per day, so remember that it could take a while, and it’s not going to be comfortable or feel good. You will resist doing the things you need to do to get better, because you’ve spent years doing things the wrong way.
Another important thing I need to mention is that sometimes (most of the time) the things you need to do and practice to get rid of your pain are going to seem like they are causing you more pain. This is actually normal, and good. As you reach point of pain in many exercises the idea is to just barely hit that point and each day or week you will notice that you can push it further and further away, until eventually you can do a much more before you hit that point where it starts to cause pain.
The Difference Between Hurt & Harm
But there is a word of caution, when you do these sorts of things at home or without professional supervision you need to know very well the difference between hurt and harm. You do not want to go to0 hard with any exercise, stretch, or treatment to the point where it causes more harm. Sometimes it is difficult to tell if it just hurts or if its causing more harm, but if you live with daily pain you can usually figure it out. The point is that you must be very careful, and your goal is to reach the point of pain, but not increase the pain.
I’m sorry if this seems a bit harsh, but it’s true, and until I finally started to get some results from this and could feel my “regular” pain levels dropping and my body getting stronger than ever, I didn’t believe I was doing anything but causing myself more pain and trouble with all of the exercise, but it’s the most important thing I need to drill into you if you truly want to live a pain free life again – you have to start exercising and doing the correct exercises!
As adults we start to form habits that neglect our bodies, and if not corrected it starts to wear us out way faster than we are supposed to. Even if your back pain stemmed from an injury or accident of some kind (like mine did) you wouldn’t continue having back pain or sciatica for months or years on end unless there is more to the problem, which there almost ALWAYS is.
Sciatica is a SYMPTOM
Unfortunately for anyone looking for sciatica treatments, the sciatic nerve is the longest one in the body, running from the spinal cord and extending to cover the butt, hip area, and the back of each leg. While the condition could be so debilitating at times that you wish you could have several sciatica treatments at once, sciatica is not actually a disorder but a symptom.
Some Causes of Sciatica Symptoms
The pain you’re looking to banish by trying all the different sciatica treatments is a sign that there is an underlying problem concerning your nerves, posture, muscle strengths and weaknesses, and other variables like a slipped or herniated disc, or narrowing of your spinal canal (called ‘spinal stenosis’… something I also experienced).
Just how much pain you experience will depend on what’s causing the pain and it can vary from a slight annoyance to completely disabling . It also differs how long the pain will last but it is typical to need sciatica treatments for only a couple of months if they are done correctly. This is not an easy road though, many changes must be made in your overall lifestyle and the changes need to be maintained for life or the pain could return with a vengeance.
I hate to break it to you but for most people, simply doing a few stretches and exercises here and there is NOT going to be enough to put a stop to your pain (and keep it away). That’s why you hear of so many people who struggle with back pain or sciatica for their entire lives… Either they are unwilling to make the proper adjustments to their movement patterns and lifestyle, or they have not been shown how to make the proper adjustments at all.
How I Healed Myself
I do my best to try to explain everything that I learned from curing my own back pain and hope I can and help as many people as possible who are suffering with back pain and sciatica by creating this website and also with my email newsletter (completely free).
If you haven’t signed up for my newsletter yet, please do because I have a ton of really great information and some very valuable freebies for signing up as a subscriber. You can sign up at the top of the page on the right hand side to get the free Herniated Disc Healing Guide that is just one of the many free bonuses you will get for signing up.
You will find a TON of articles on every type of back pain condition and treatment possible here on Natural-Sciatic-Relief.com. I am also in the process of creating my own set of videos showing all of the details about everything I did to overcome my own sciatica and back pain issues. To be notified when the videos are complete, simply hop on to my email list like mentioned above and you’ll be the first to know when its ready for public viewing.
There are traditional sciatica treatments but sometimes there comes a point that even the most tried and tested sciatica treatments cease to work their wonders for some people.
When that happens, you can at least find comfort in the fact that there are newer sciatica treatments you can try out. Some little known sciatica pain treatments include:
- Nubax Trio as one of the sciatica treatments you can try out, Nubax Trio is a device that reduces or eliminates back pain by providing gentle traction that releases pressure buildup on the spinal discs at the end of the day.Slowly, the device will stretch your spine and pull apart each vertebra to promote circulation and allow healing fluids to penetrate all areas more easily. This aids in the repair of bulging or herniated discs and reduce pressure on the sciatic nerve.Because of how it works, the Nubax Trio is one of the sciatica treatments that are particularly suited for dealing with any type of lower back pain you might have.
- Heal-N-Soothe Heal-N-Soothe is a product that utilizes Systemic Enzyme Therapy. While Systemic Enzyme Therapy has been around for more than 50 years now, a lot of people don’t know that it can be one of the sciatica treatments available to banish pain the natural way.Heal-N-Soothe works by reducing inflammations to hasten the healing process so you get better more quickly. By supplying your body with enzymes that fight off inflammations, this product gets to the root of the problem and repairs damaged tissues in the process. Fewer inflammations mean less pain for you, letting you feel relief you can expect from a sciatica treatment.Since Heal-N-Soothe is made from natural ingredients, you no longer have to suffer from narcotic side effects because you get natural pain relief. Additionally, these natural enzymes also fight strokes, heart attacks, and Alzheimer’s disease while keeping you pain-free.
- Bulletproof Back System as one of the sciatica treatments you can try out, the Bulletproof Back System has different phases that you progress along. Best started slow, the system features a variety of exercises for anyone with neck or back pain or sciatica.The Bulletproof Back System puts together exercises from physiotherapy programs, qigong, chiropractic aids, and various other programs for back pain, elaborating on how each exercise is done properly so you get the maximum effect. It also doesn’t hurt that the instructor is very great at explaining what you have to do while the exercises are being demonstrated.Alongside exercises that you may have encountered before, the Bulletproof Back System also offers new sciatica treatments in the form of other stretches and exercises. The seven phases you will have to go through with this system include the Bulletproof Back Fundamentals, Assessment Videos, Treatment Videos, Corrective Phase, Foundation Phase, 3D Strength Phase, and the Bulletproofing Phase. Each of the sections are further divided into subsections with several videos each.
- Teeter Hang Ups Inversion Tables this sciatica treatment option, gravity is utilized to realign your spine, lengthening muscles located along your vertebrae to allow the spine to slip back into its natural position.Inversion therapy has been proven by studies to be effective in increasing blood flow to the spine so circulation is improved throughout the body. Aside from alleviating pain, better circulation also aids in keeping all sorts of health problems at bay. Decompress the inversion tables and you can simply use it to relax your back. Inversion therapy also boosts mental alertness, improves posture, and relieves stress.As more than just one of the sciatica treatments available, the Teeter Hang Ups Inversion Tables also increases range of motion to restore your flexibility and helps in reducing the need for back surgery by as much as 70.5%.
- Exercise ball there’s a general discomfort that you can’t quite put your finger on when you can’t crack your back. While people crack their backs all the time, there’s just sometimes that one instance wherein you cant do anything about. To ease your discomfort, you can consider an exercise ball as one of the sciatica treatments you can use to crack your back.As with other sciatica treatments, it is emphasized that instructions are followed properly. More than just ensuring desired results, going about sciatica treatments properly will ensure your safety, most especially that your back is involved. There are different ways by which you can use an exercise ball to crack your back. You probably didn’t think you can use an exercise ball for your pain relief since it’s more of used for workouts.You can think of many sciatica treatments as specific workouts for your back. To crack your middle back, sit on the exercise ball slowly and walk your feet out and slowly lower yourself on the exercise ball until your back is on it, creating a backward arch over the exercise ball.Do this carefully and slowly. If it starts to hurt, stop. Balance yourself using your feet and relax, stretching yourself over the ball. Move forward and back slowly to rest different parts of your back on the ball.Hold the position for up to 30 seconds or until you feel all of the little cracks and pops, signaling that your joints are releasing and relaxing. Stretch your arms if you want to add a little bit more weight to the stretch and decompress your spine.
More Sciatica Treatments And Help For Low Back Pain
I know you’re probably looking for more information about how to reduce your pain and get rid of sciatica forever, and you’re in luck! I’m currently producing a set of videos explaining every detail of the exercises, movement and postural adjustments, and everything I’ve learned about curing my own back pain. Unfortunately the videos are not yet ready for public release!
I’m working very fast to get this product out and ready to help as many people as possible to banish their back pain and sciatica for good, and to be updated when the videos are ready, please join my email newsletter by signing up using one of the many forms on this site. You’ll get the free herniated disc healing guide as well as a ton of other exclusive content that only people on my mailing list get to see, and I’ll be able to keep you updated when my back pain video series is completed.
Until then, please browse this website and the huge amount of information that I’ve collected here about all types of natural back pain and sciatica treatments, the causes of sciatica and other back pain problems and what you can do to get help for low back pain without drugs or surgery.
As a complimentary gift for reading this far down the page (you did read it ALL didn’t you?) I would like to offer you a chance to listen to a very informational interview with some excellent back pain tips from two back pain professionals who have recently become good friends of mine, Jesse Cannone and Steve Hefferon of the Healthy Back Institute.
Jesse recently offered all of my visitors a free download of his CD “The Complete Healing Formula For Back Pain” which normally sells for $79.00 for an actual CD copy. Although it’s not specifically about sciatica treatments, I did find a lot of good tips in there for people with sciatica, so if you have a few minutes to listen to the CD, I highly recommend you check it out. (It is FREE you know!)