Back pain is one of the most common problems faced by millions around the world. It can range from mild to severe, and it can be acute or chronic. While some forms of back pain goes away with an hour or two, without any treatment others may remain for days and may not go until proper treatment is done. It is something that can affect anyone. However it is most common amongst adults above the age of 35. When it comes to treatment, it depends upon the root cause. There are several forms of treatment available to get rid of this problem.
What causes back pain?
Human back has a complex structure and any problem with one part can trickle down to the other parts, making things harder for you. There is no definite reason for back pain to occur however, at times a minor twist can cause severe pain and other times the pain might not occur until the problem becomes severe. There are several factors that can cause back pain the most common ones are:
- Strain- it is something that leads to acute pain. It happens when you put pressure on your back that it is not used to like, lifting a heavy object or lifting something improperly. This kind of pressure can cause strain in ligaments or muscles that leads to back pain
- Problem with disk- a disk is like a cushion between the bones in your spine. At times the disk may bulge and end up putting pressure on the nerves which can cause the pain
- Arthritis – it is faced by most of the elderly people, arthritis in spine can cause spinal stenosis which means narrowing of the space around the spinal cord. Patients suffering from this problem also experiences knee pain, pain in hands and hips
- Skeletal problems- if your spin curves in an abnormal way then you might experience back pain
- Infection of spine- there are several types of infection one can get in the spine. The symptoms include fever and tenderness in the back etc
Other than these, there are several other factors that can cause this problem like falling down, slip disk, cancer of spine etc. However, with proper treatment most of these problems can be completely cured.
Back pain relief can be attained only when the reason is found out. In case of acute pain you might be able to tell the reason because it occurs suddenly due to some drastic action. However, in case of chronic back pain finding out the root cause may be difficult. Thus a physician will run tests including X- rays, MRI scans, Bone scan etc to figure out the problem, once that is done he/ she will start the treatment accordingly.
- Medication- One of the most common remedy is the use of medicines, while some are for application others are for consumption. While most over the counter medications can help relief mild pain it may not be effective in case of severe pain. There are certain muscle relaxants and antidepressants that used for temporary pain relief. However most of the medications may have side effects and consumed while using other prescribed drugs may cause serious problems. Thus it’s best to consult your doctor before taking them
- Physiotherapy- Usages of electrical stimulation, application of heat or ice packs are common back pain relief methods. It can be done by a trained therapist or you can try them yourselves. There are muscle release techniques that can help reduce the pain. When the pain subsides the therapist may introduce certain exercises that will not only help reduce the pain but it will also improve your posture. However, it is not a onetime treatment like medications; you must continue to practice it even when there is no pain
- Cortisone injections-It is used when the pain starts to spreads down your leg at that point your doctor might inject Cortisone to help reduce the pain. Cortisone is an anti- inflammatory drug that is injected within the epidural space. The effect generally lasts for a couple of months then it might have to be injected again or a correctional procedure might have to be performed
Apart from these there is acupuncture, shiatsu and some natural remedies like herbal oils and ointments that can be applied to get back pain relief. If all the other method fails you will have to opt for a surgical procedure.
Though back pain can affect any individual people with prior medical condition or those who are overweight are more prone to it. Thus, it is important to lead a healthy lifestyle. Doing regular workouts, exercises and yoga can reduce the risk of having a back problems. However, it is important to get proper treatment if you get diagnosed with this problem as without treatment you might end up damaging your back.